In December 2010, all of Metalloinvest’s enterprises successfully completed the registration stage under the requirements of European Regulation № 1907/2006 (REACH).
The preparation and submission of all registration dossiers to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) were finalised in November 2010.
The registration numbers and all necessary confirmations were received from ECHA for the following products:
- Iron ore pellets and hot briquetted iron (HBI) produced by Lebedinsky GOK;
- Iron ore pellets produced by Mikhailovsky GOK;
- Metallised pellets produced by OEMK;
- Pig iron, ammonium sulphate, crude coal benzene and coal tar produced by Ural Steel.
The registrations were carried out on the basis of recommendations given by the REACH consortia, including IRON PLATFORM, REACH for Coal Chemicals (R4CC), and FARM REACH Consortium and several European companies involved.
Metalloinvest continues to implement measures aimed at fulfilling its obligations under REACH.
Classification of Metalloinvest products under REACH
The European Confederation of Iron and Steel Industries (EUROFER) has prepared and distributed a document entitled «EUROFER Position Paper determining the borderline between preparations and articles for steel and steel products» (hereinafter the «EUROFER Position»). This document is supported by the global steel industry.
The EUROFER Position describes the main stages in the steel process and the respective classification of the different steel products in accordance with REACH definitions and requirements. The EUROFER Position meets the requirements of ECHA’s Guidance on requirements for substances in articles, as confirmed by the ECHA letter dated 2 September 2009.
EUROFER recommends the use of the EUROFER Position and the ECHA letter dated 2 September 2009 in any communications with EU Member State REACH helpdesks and inspection authorities.
In accordance with the EUROFER Position and the ECHA recommendation, Metalloinvest’s main products are classified as follows:
Iron-orepellets produced by Lebedinsky GOK and Mikhailovsky GOK are classed as: (Substance) «Iron ores, agglomerates»;
- Metallised pellets produced by OEMK, HBI produced by Lebedinsky GOK and pig iron produced by Ural Steel are classed as: (Substance) «Iron, furnace»;
- Steel products from OEMK and Ural Steel are classed as «Articles», as REACH registration is not required.