Metalloinvest invests over 21 billion roubles in the Environmental Programme
27 March 2020
Metalloinvest, a leading global iron ore and HBI producer and supplier, and one of the regional producers of high-quality steel, has approved the Environmental Programme for 2020-2025.
Andrey Varichev, CEO of Management Company Metalloinvest, commented: "A responsible attitude towards environmental protection is one of the Company’s key priorities. It is an integral part of our business strategy based on sustainable development principles. Each year we invest billions of roubles in implementing the best available technologies. The Environmental Programme enables us to undertake systematic long-term work in this area. Our goal is to minimise our impact on the environment, ensure the efficient use of natural resources and be among the leaders in the environmental efficiency of production processes in the global metals and mining industry."
The programme provides for more than 21 bn roubles of investment towards range of technological and environmental measures with a direct environmental effect at all Metalloinvest’s production sites. 70% of the programme budget will be allocated towards the Clean Air project aimed at improving air quality.
Along with the implementation of the flagship project, the Environmental Programme provides for the following projects: “Green Steelmaking/Implementation and Achievement of BAT”, “Clean Water”, “Zero Waste”, “Clean Land”, “Biodiversity and Protected Areas”, “Environmental Monitoring”, “Reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions”, “Recycling/Efficient Use of Resources”, “Development of R&D to Reduce Environmental Impact”, “Environmental Improvement in Regions of Presence”, “Environmental Culture, Education, Training of Staff”, “Environmental Management”.
The key objectives of the Environmental Programme by 2025 are:
- Reduction of atmospheric air emissions by 7%;
- Full transition of Mikhailovsky GOK and OEMK to a closed-loop water recycling system – elimination of wastewater discharges into water bodies;
- Gradual transition of Lebedinsky GOK to a closed-loop water recycling system – reduction of wastewater discharges by 50% (Ural Steel operates a closed water recycling system that excludes wastewater discharges);
- 100% processing of technological waste and materials (not including overburden and tailings of Lebedinsky GOK and Mikhailovsky GOK);
- 33% reduction of overburden formation at Lebedinsky GOK and Mikhailovsky GOK as a result of the construction of conveyor facilities;
- 1 million tonne reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (CO2 equivalent) from Metalloinvest's iron ore consumers.
The programme targets will be specified based on the results of an independent environmental audit in 2020.
The implementation of the Environmental Programme will reduce:
- Specific emissions of harmful gases from the production of pellets;
- Specific emissions from the enrichment of iron ore;
- Water consumption from surface sources;
- Volume of technological waste generation and disposal.
The following is planned as part of the programme:
- Modernisation of the gas-cleaning facilities at the pellet plant of Lebedinsky GOK;
- Technical re-equipment of the gas-cleaning drums of the crushing and conveyor facility of Mikhailovsky GOK;
- Reconstruction and development of the gas-cleaning facilities at Ural Steel;
- Modernisation and development of water recycling systems at Lebedinsky GOK, Mikhailovsky GOK and OEMK;
- Construction of additional treatment facilities at Lebedinsky GOK;
- Other projects.
The reduction of carbon intensity of production, increase in efficiency of dust-cleaning and gas-purification units, protection of biodiversity, land reclamation, improvement to environmental quality control (creating automated control systems for emissions and discharges, stationary and mobile ecological monitoring laboratories) are significant elements of the programme.
Under the programme, the Company will continue the integrated development of environmental projects in the towns where it operates (environmental clean-ups, tree planting, etc.) as part of the programme.
The Company is also implementing measures to develop environmental culture and train staff, as well as to improve the efficiency of the environmental protection management system.
Metalloinvest applies advanced technologies in its production, including direct reduction of iron and steel smelting in its electric furnaces to minimise environmental impact. From 2007 to 2018, gross emissions of the Company’s enterprises decreased by 24%.
The Company is also continuously expanding the production of high-quality products (in particular, hot-briquetted iron and premium pellets), the use of which helps consumers to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in steel production.
In 2018, Metalloinvest received a debut ‘Silver’ Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) rating from the international agency EcoVadis. In 2019, the Company’s rating improved by 3 points to 60 points, against an industry average score of 43 points. Metalloinvest was ranked in 12% of companies rated by EcoVadis globally. At the same time, the Company featured in 8% of metal and steel producers in the ‘Environment’ category.
In 2019, Metalloinvest was ranked 4th in the WWF’s transparency rating of Russian metals and mining companies in the field of environmental responsibility.
Corporate Communications Director
Tel.: +7 (495) 981-55-55
For further information, please contact: